Throughout the month of August I was participating in the N.E.W.T.’s Readathon hosted by BookTube channel Book Roast. This was a very fun readathon based off of the N.E.W.T. exams from Harry Potter. Which classes you participated in and did prompts for were based off of which O.W.L. classes you completed in a readathon held earlier this year.
While I was certainly trying to finish all of the books on the TBR for this readathon, I didn’t quite manage to get all of them read. Life got in the way as it always tends to do – my sister was moving to Scotland, among other things. I did read a good at least one book in each subject, except for Astronomy. Sorry Astronomy. Maybe next year. A few of the books I had initially planned on reading changed. A few were dropped while other’s were moved around on the reading list. I also had one book I DNF’d, and I did have a sneaking suspicion this was going to the be case. The Ghosts of Manhattan by George Mann is the book that has been on my shelf unread the longest. I’ve had it since it released almost ten years ago. Despite cracking the cover I’ve never made it more than a few pages in and decided this was finally time. I made it past chapter 1 this time, by it simply wasn’t holding my interest so I put the book down.
I did complete all three challenges for Charms, though. Honestly, this was largely due to the fact that I really wanted to read The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne Valente. It was motivation I needed because Vampire Hunter D wasn’t turning out to be quite the read I wanted. Below I’ll list all of the subjects I was trying to complete, the challenges for each subject, and which books I wound up reading. Books that I’ve already posted reviews for will also be linked!
Did you participate in the N.E.W.T’s Readathon? What books did you read?
- Book set in the Past – The Silent Companions by Laura Purcell
- Most Ancient Book on shelf that’s unread – The Ghosts of Manhattan by George Mann – DNF
- Book translated from another language – Not Completed
- At least 300 pages long – A Big Ship at the Edge of the Universe by Alex White
- Book that ends on an even number –My Hero Academia Vol 14 by Kohei Horikoshi
- Book that isn’t 1st in a series – Not Completed
- Stars on the Cover – Not Completed
- Book that has the word ‘sky’ on the cover – Not Completed
- Story set on a different planet/world – Not Completed
- Read a book w/ magic in it – Vampire Hunter D Volume 3: Demon Deathchase by Hideyuki Kikuchi
- Cover that charmed you (a cover buy) – The Book of Hidden Things by Francesco Dimitri
- A book you think will leave a mark – The Refrigerator Monologues by Catherynne Valente
- Has a green cover – River of Teeth by Sarah Gailey
- Book with illustration – Kase-san and Morning Glories by Hiromi Takashima
- Has light/air/sun/water in the title – Not Completed
- Gray cover – The Family Plot by Cherie Priest
- Book from an author haven’t read before – Ping Pong Dash! Vol 1 by Shingo Honda
- Set in a kingdom/has royals – Not Completed